8/6/11

Starting the Journey

Listening to: Scream, Tokio Hotel
What do you need to start your journey as a writer? Three things.
Pen.
Paper. 
And an idea. 
Do you have those? Great! Then you are ready to go.
Where did my idea come from? Well, call me a nerd, but from the opening scene of Soul Calibur IV. You know the scene where Raphael is in an alley in the rain and a little girl in green points soldiers in his direction? Well, that's where Aston and Jade were born from. Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpAc96rZp4  and you can see what I'm talking about. The scene starting at 0:57 is the scene that began Knight's End for me.
Knight's End used to start with a similar scene, Aston in an alley, hiding from soldiers, and Jade finding him.That project took off, but, six months later, I still wasn't really getting anywhere with the storyline.That book went on hiatus, and A Promise of Forever was born.
As soon as APoF was in print and out of the way, I sat down and stared at my computer screen until the plot for Knight's End was born. Tada! Three and a half weeks later, the book was complete at 53,000 words. (short from a YA, but I'm working on it...) Now, I am doing heavy editing with another inkie, djinnia, and Knight's End has jumped from being unranked to being ranked 14 on inkpop.com. 
I am so close to my dream, I can feel it. 
So, grab a pen and some paper, or a laptop, sit down, and just write something. It doesn't have to be good. It doesn't have to make sense. Seeing it there will make you feel wonderful, if you are like me, and you'll eventually get a winning idea with characters that speak to you like Jade, Aston, Talbot, and Ernst did for me. :D

J.D. Montgomery


No comments:

Post a Comment